July 21, 2014

Flowers on Graves ~ why or why not?

Last week at church I was visiting with a couple about putting flowers on the graves of our loved ones. It got me to thinking why some do that and some do not.

I remember when I was a child, my mom always took my sister and me to where her dad, our grandpa, was buried and we placed flowers ... real or artificial ... usually for Memorial Day and again at Christmas. Then when my mom died,  my sister and her family planted hostas and my husband and I brought flowers. Sometimes we did this for other family members buried at the same cemetery and also at the graves of my husband's family.

We haven't done it now for probably two years.

Perhaps busyness got in the way. Or the weather. Or perhaps it wasn't important anymore.

I think for those who have done it and continue to do it, it has become a tradition. Also perhaps, a sign of respect. We loved them, so we want to honor them with flowers.

But is it necessary? And does it mean we think less of a person if we don't put flowers (or a flag) on a grave?

Anyone have thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment